Statutory Free School Meals
Tower Hamlets benefits service is responsible for administering claims for free school meals on behalf of the council’s education department.
Are you eligible?
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
How do I apply?
Further information is found here on the Tower Hamlets website.
To apply online go to the LBTH webpage, under the 'Apply for It' section, or copy the link into a web browser and click on ‘Apply for Free School Meals’: https://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl/advice_and_benefits/benefits/benefit_forms.aspx
Once the Benefits Office sends you a letter confirming your entitlement to free school meals, please forward a copy of this letter to the school via firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a copy to the school office.
If you would like to check whether you are eligible for frees school meals, please complete the online form (Link below):
Our Online Free School Meals (OFSM) checker will give you an instant response via email stating if you are currently eligible.
If you have more than one child, you will need to complete a separate form for each child.
Please note: If, after completing the form above, it states your eligibility status cannot be confirmed, please contact Tower Hamlets or your local authority to update your personal circumstances and income. Kindly do not complete the form again or contact the school.